Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Significance of May 3rd

May 3rd is celebrated as Soka Gakkai Day.

On May 3rd 1951, Josei Toda was inaugurated as the second president of Soka Gakkai. Setting a target of 750,000 households to be achieved by the time of his death, he initiated a great advance for kosen-rufu, declaring: ‘If I do not achieve this goal, it is useless to celebrate my funeral at my death. You should only throw my ashes in the bay of Shinagawa.’ 3 May is therefore celebrated as Soka Gakkai Day.

Daisaku Ikeda writes:
"That day, an intrepid lion rose up. On 3 May 1951, our mentor Josei Toda was inaugurated as the second president of the Soka Gakkai. A mighty roar for the propagation of Buddhism for the sake of world peace and the happiness of all humanity reverberated across the land: ‘I will give my life for the propagation of Buddhism! I vow to convert, through my own efforts, 750,000 households during my life time!’ He did not say, ‘through our efforts’; he said, ‘through my own efforts.’ "

Overcoming many great difficulties, the membership target of 750.000 households was achieved at the end of 1957. Shortly before his passing away in 1958, Toda said to Ikeda, ‘The rest will be up to you, Daisaku, I’m counting on you.’

On May 3rd 1960, at the age of 32, Daisaku Ikeda was officially inaugurated as 3rd President in a ceremony at the auditorium of Nihon University in Tokyo. On that occasion, he declared: ‘From today onward, on behalf of President Toda’s disciples, I will take the leadership to move a step forward towards the substantiation of kosen-rufu.’

May 3rd is a day for fresh resolve and to take on the responsibility for Kosen-rufu.

The great glory of "May 3rd" is a symbol of the victories we have achieved as "Mentor and Disciple".

Like all of our fellow SGI friends throughout the world,* let's spread this Buddhism and its philosophy throughout the nation and achieve one more important step in our advancement of kosen-rufu!

* It has been announced that the SGI has now members in 192 countries and territories in the world.

No comments: