Friday, April 25, 2008

Global Warming - What can I do?

With the recent hype about Earth Day on April 22nd and of course the screening of "An Inconvenient Truth" on HBO one does wonder if any of it had an impact on the worst culprits of pollution. That's us, you and me, the educated, affluent, self engrossed public with little focus on natural resources or the environment. I don't mean to attack us but it's important that we open our eyes.

The International Earth Day celebrated on 22nd April is intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth's environment. [Wikipedia]

I came across the Carbon Footprint calculator while reading up on Eco-activism and recent areas of concern. What started as a fun quiz ended in a bit of realization - that my carbon footprint is bigger than India's average - and I don't even know it!

Most of us are in the above average income group and unwittingly add incredible amounts of pollution every single day... I think it's important to know how this impacts everything around us.

Urge you strongly to take this quiz, it is a remarkable tool for self awareness; and as you go through various steps and calculations you will realize, just as I did, how impactful some of our actions are.

http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx

What can I do? The first step is awareness and taking responsibility. It has to begin with me.

No comments: